Friday, October 5, 2012

Psy - Gangnam Style



Psy in "Gangnam Style"


What a surprise I found when I opened Spotify yesterday and saw that “Gangnam Style” was the #1 song in Top Lists. After weeks of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” and Fun.’s “Some Nights” dominating the top spots, “Gangnam Style” suddenly appeared at #1 without, to my knowledge, even making an appearance at any of the other top 100 spots.

Released in July, the song made Korean pop an international splash. One of my co-workers sent me “Gangnam Style” a few weeks ago and I had intended to feature it as a song of the week showing that a song can be catchy even if you can’t understand the lyrics. But apparently when rapper Psy’s video made it to the Video Music Awards in early September the rest of America proved this point for me by bumping the video’s hits on YouTube to over 350 million.

I’m not sure if it’s the invisible horse dance, a dubstep-esque breakdown in the middle, or a melody that makes me want to sing even though I don’t know the words, but “Gangnam Style” is worth listening to, language barrier and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment